Hair experts from around the globe all have differing opinions when it comes to what colours and cuts are trending, but when it comes to haircare there are some key points that they all agree on! These are the Ten Best hair care tips all stylists, and ourselves at Clipinhair recommend you follow! Know any good hairtips? Share them by commenting below! ♥
1. Give yourself a 2 minute mini head-massage every morning. Using the tips of your fingers, gently knead the skin on your scalp (don’t forget the nape of your neck). This will stimulate blood flow to your scalp, encouraging hair growth!
2. Use a soft-bristled comb...always! There are no excuses here, buy yourself a soft bristle comb and throw away any other brushes. Combs with bristles that are made from hard plastic or wood cause instant damage to your hair as they are rough on both your follicle and hair strand. Try a soft-bristle comb like the Tangle Teezer and you’ll find your hair doesn’t break as easily or tangle as much!
3. Rubbing your hair dry with a towel is one of the main causes of hair breakage. Why? Because your hair is naturally weakened when wet and rubbing it is just more than it can handle! Instead, rather try wrapping your hair in a towel and letting it absorb the excess water from your hair. If you’re in more of a hurry try very gently patting your hair dry.
4. Avoid using direct heat on your hair...and if you can’t manage that, then ALWAYS (without excuse) use a heat protection spray on your hair. Sprays like the REF Heat Protection Spray will provide a protective layer around the strand and minimise the damage caused by heat. You can further minimise heat damage by getting rid of the nozzle on your hair dryer - it very often leads to excessive damage by allowing you to get heat closer than it should be to your hair!
5.Wear a plastic shower cap over your hair when using a hair mask. Or wrap your hair in a warm towel or cling wrap. You can even blast it with your hairdryer for a little extra warmth. Once done, rinse thoroughly and blast your hair with cool water to revitalise and lock in the moisture from the mask.
6.Treat your hair to a deep conditioning treatment at least once a week. By spoiling your hair with a salon graded treatment it will not only be rehydrated and revived but it will actually look and feel healthy too! If you’ve recently coloured your hair make sure you give it a treatment soon after. A treatment like the REF Intensive Colour Protect Mask will not only lock in your colour, but it will also help your hair to recover from the chemicals it’s just been subjected too.
7. Avoid over-washing, and subsequently over-styling, your hair with the help of Dry Shampoo! You’ll give your hair a much needed styling break if you can get away with one extra day of no heat/shampoo/products to get it to the way it probably already looks.
8.Avoid using elastic hair ties in your hair. They are a major cause of breakage, as their overly-tight grip weakens the hair. Rather use material ties, jaw clips or the EZ Bobble. They serve to keep your hair out of your face without putting pressure onto both the strands and roots of your hair. You’ll also be free of the awful ‘ponytail’ dent cause by elastic ties.
9.Know your hair - and choose your hair care products accordingly. Make sure that you carefully read the product description, as it will help you determine if this is the right product for your hair type and needs. And always try use sulfate-free products like those in the REF product range as this will help prevent chemical damage to all hair-types!
10. Trim often! The easiest way to encourage hair growth and get your hair looking and feeling healthy is to have dead and dry ends trimmed. Make it a habit and try going for a trim every 8-12 weeks if your hair is in relatively good shape. For those who heat style and dye their frequently should try and go every 6 - 8 weeks.